Tuesday, July 8, 2008

He'brew Brewery - Origin Pomegranate Ale



Seeds of Love.

He'brew Brewery is the offbeat producer of this decidedly offbeat IPA. The malty-sweet nose threw me a bit as I was expecting the herbal bouquet of hops from this medium-amber ambrosia. Nowhere near as sweet or acidic as I expected based on its name (and ingredients), the flavor is heady with dark malt, figs, dried peaches and just a tang of hops. The flavor is rich and complex though more reminiscent of a solid Bock than an IPA - but maybe that's just the Pacific Northwesterner in me talking as our IPAs tend to be "hop bombs". Nonetheless this ale is a real mouth-pleaser I'll seek out again! I'd pair a 22 ounce bottle of this with potatoes au gratin topped with basil ground beef and Walla Walla onions.

No comments: